Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tears at the Hair Salon

"Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."


Luke 12:7


Cassidy's New Hair Style


Even though the girls are just 6 & 8 years old, for years and years - they have gone with me to the Hair Salon. As much work as I have done to my hair, ha - I can be at the salon for up to three hours. So, we literally make a day of it. While I'm getting color and such, the girls get a wash, cut and style. They love it and surprisingly behave for that long of a time!

Well, it was Salon Day and I started early in the morning asking the girls what they wanted to have done. Savannah, 8, wanted some bangs this time. Not my favorite thing - they are so hard to work with - but I agreed. Cassidy, 6, really shocked me. "I think I want my hair short." Well, short to her was at her shoulders. Her hair at this time was mid-back, very long. It's not like Cassidy to want to be different. She often copies her sister and doesn't always make such brave statements. So, I applauded her for stepping out of her comfort zone and I agreed with her as well. I could live with should length.


So - I go first at the Salon and get my color and foil and the Hairdresser places me under the dryer. I've reviewed with him Cassidy's wishes stating - SHOULDER length. So from across the room I see Cassidy hop up in the chair. She is smiling ear to ear and thrilled to be getting her hair cut (she enjoys Salon Day the most between the girls I think!). Then, everything after that is like a slow motion movie to me.


Cassidy's hair is wet and the Hairdresser pulls it back into nearly a pony tail and then, snip. From across the room I can see the back of her neck and I start to panic. It was like in my mind - I was leaping out from under the dryer (all in slow motion), yelling "NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!" and sliding across the slick black salon floor on my stomach with my arm stretched out as if to catch her long beautiful locks of hair before they hit the ground. ----- As if I could put it back on??!!


So I start saying to myself. "Don't cry. You can't cry. If you cry, she will cry. Wait, is she crying? Oh no! If she cries - I will cry!!!" It was the worst 5 seconds of my life. I keep looking at her sweet little face in the mirror as he continues to snip and add layers to my 6 year olds hair! Her facial expression has not changed. It's as if her smile is frozen. I start to wonder if she is even blinking!! But, she doesn't cry. I take a deep breath and decided that we will make it through this.


When her "style" was done, she whispered in my ear (not wanting to offend our stylist!), "Mommy, this isn't what I was wanting." I replied, "I know. It's not what Mommy thought you were getting either, but it looks adorable on you and I really like it. You look fabulous!"


As I looked at my little toothless new short hair styled little girl - I thought about all my worries for her. If I can't protect her from the hairdresser and a bad hair cut --- what's going to happen to her in the real world???? When I saw that first snip, I was terrified. As she starts kindergarten this fall, I'm terrified. I can't explain how she is "different", she just is. She has a hard time learning, she can not follow directions hardly at all - doctors and therapist admit they "see something that's not right" but can't diagnose exactly what it is. She often gets words turned around or calls an object by the wrong name. I'm terrified about .... will she fit in? Will the other kids laugh at her when something doesn't come easy to her? Will she pass Kindergarten --- she's already 6!!??


But I need to take all these fears, all these concerns and replace them with:

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:7


The LORD is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1


My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken..... He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Psalm 62:1-2; 62:7-8


And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. Romans 8:28-30


And the scriptures could go on and on. Yes, I am initially fearful about my sweet Cassidy and her future. But, I can not live or dwell in fear. And anytime a fearful thought arises, I must replace that with God's Word. I'm so thankful to know that God is Sovereign in all He does. He has a purpose for her life. He knows the hairs on her head (even though they are all shorter now!).




2 comments:

Rebecca Ingram Powell said...

How funny that I came by to leave birthday wishes and you had last posted about hair! That's so appropriate! :)LOL! Just thinking of you today and praying you have a blessed birthday. You are so special to me, and I love you! Happy, happy, happy Birthday!

Leah Adams said...

Ginger,

What a sweet and funny post!! I will be praying for Cassidy and for you as she begins kindergarten. I know children can be so cruel but hopefully her little heart will be protected.

Leah