Monday, July 14, 2008

My God will fight for YOU

"The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."'
Exodus 14:13


Oh my! It is so true that kids will say anything - and that seems especially true for my children! But one story stands out far above the rest and that's what I'm going to share with you today.

Several years ago, I had taken Savannah to a new Doctor's Office. This office had a huge chalk board on the wall to entertain the children and immediately after we arrived my little artist was quickly at work. The office was full and I was confident that my little Michelangelo had caught every one's eyes with her fascinating works of art.

During one particular drawing I could see the concentration on her face. She was drawing her stick figures with great precision. One was small and placed far away from the other two larger stick figures. Then, with serious determination, she began drawing straight lines over the two larger stick figures. She did this over and over until both stick figures had horizontal lines all across them. She finished her creation by drawing a line across the top and bottom of her horizontal lines --- making a box. (Is anyone following me here????)

Intrigued by what she had done and knowing that she had a purpose or a story behind what she had drawn - I asked Savannah to tell me about her picture. In a room FULL of people, in her very LOUD toddler voice she said, "Mommy, remember that one time the police came and took you and Daddy to jail and I was left all alone? Well, I drew that time."

Now, do you follow the picture?? One small stick figure (her) away from the larger two (me and her dad), the box with lines (a jail cell)!!!!

So, with all eyes on us - I replied back, "Oh honey, did you draw a dream that you had?" Immediately she responded with a very strong "NO Mom! I drew that time you and dad went to jail and left me all alone!" The more I tried to insist that she had no idea what she was talking about - the more adamant she became that she had indeed drawn a true life portrait! And, the more exchanges that we had - the more I could tell the entire waiting room was on her side! I mean come on! Even I have to admit that was one wild imagination for a toddler. Had the tables been reversed, I probably would have been one of the first in the waiting room to have a raised eyebrow.

The point of this wild and true tale is this: (oh wait - TRUE being the drawing in the Doctor's Office, not TRUE as in the going to jail part! just wanted to make sure we were clear - haha) the more I tried to stand up for myself, defend my parenting, prove that I really was a good person - the worse I made the situation. The more I looked guilty.

If you are a Christian, is their an area in your life where YOU are doing the fighting? You are arguing with those around you to prove that you are right "in Christ". Maybe you are trying to defend your reputation, maybe it is your parenting choices. It could be any decision you've made where you and God have worked out all the details - but your family and friends aren't on board with His plan. Maybe it's Homeschooling. Maybe it's moving your family across the world to be missionaries. Maybe it's about having more children (and most people feel you already have plenty!). I'm just tossing out things that I've witnessed recently --- and I realize most of these I'm mentioning deal with "younger" families because that's where I am right now, but I'm sure you catch my drift. No matter your age - right now, you can think of an issue.

Whatever the situation - you may be feeling personally attacked. Like your judgement is being questioned. BUT, Have you ever thought about how maybe this isn't your fight? Believe me - I like to "duke it out" with the best of them, and it's been a hard life lesson for me! Guys listen - we might not be going into a literal physical battle like our pals in the Old Testament, but God still fights AND wins His battles. Be encouraged by this list of scriptures:

Deuteronomy 1:30 "The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes."

Deuteronomy 3:22 "Do not be afraid of them; the LORD your God himself will fight for you."

2 Chronicles 20:17 "You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.' "


Jeremiah 1:19 "They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.

If we believe that God has called us and set us a part in a certain area of our life, do you honestly think He wants to leave the fighting up to us? Now I hope you know that I am not asking you to not stand up for what is right or that we should not take a stand against sin..... Of course we should! I am talking about a heart issue. Something where you are not letting go and letting God take 100% control of the situation. Something where you are yelling ..... "I am right! God told me to do this! You are crazy for thinking I'm crazy!! And above all, I've never been in jail and left my child all alone --- I promise!"

If this is an area of concern for you - pray these verses today. Pray for the people involved. Ask God to show them His heart in this are while also asking Him to continue to change your heart's attitude regarding those who are opposing you. Keep a journal of your prayer concerns ..... be still, do not be afraid, watch the Lord fight for you and anticipate His deliverance. Let me know how He moves.

1 comment:

Leah Adams said...

ginger,

awesome thoughts!! i know that so often i try to fight the battles that don't even need fighting because they have already been won by Christ!! what a dumb thing to do!!

leah