Thursday, May 8, 2008

He Calls You By Name

"I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name."
Isaiah 45:3

Not long ago I was sitting by myself (surprisingly!) just watching the kids play, when I see out of the corner of my eye - Savannah realizes that I'm not busy and she had that inquisitive look in her eye. She walks over, sits in my lap and asks - "Mom, I know that God can speak all the languages like English, Spanish and French, but what language does He speak the most? Or, which one do you think is His favorite?"

Several times a week I get a question like that - AND, I know she is getting more and more tired of me saying, "Honey, I don't know. You will have to wait until you get to heaven!" So, this time - I thought on my feet (again, surprisingly!) and responded, "Honey, I'm sorry - I don't know. You will just have to ask God when you get to heaven. BUT, my guess would be that He really likes English because that's the way He speaks to you. He speaks to you here (pointing to her heart) and He speaks to you through the Bible."

She jumps to her feet and shouts, "You are telling me! The other day I was being really mean to people and unkind and then in Sunday School I read in my Bible where God says to be kind to everyone. I knew He was talking to me so I had to start being kind again!!" And, off she ran.

Here I was so proud of my wise words, when in reality --- I didn't tell her anything that she didn't already know.

Just think, God calls us by name. He desires to speak to us. If you are listening - he has something that He wants YOU to do --- and you are the only person He is calling, at this time, to take on that particular task. Remember in my previous post -- we are his masterpiece created to complete His works. Will you #1 hear and will you #2 accept? OR, will He need to find another who is listening and who is willing.

It's awesome to me to think that one day in Sunday School - God called Savannah by name. She's only 8! But she heard Him, her tender heart was listening.

It is my prayer today that you recognize God when He is calling your name. Sometimes that is not easy. In the book of I Samuel 3:1-10 we see God calling to Samuel, but it is not until the 4th time that Samuel recognized His voice.

I can speak from experience that our God is persistent.....

Come back tomorrow - read I Samuel 3: 1-10 today, and let's see what God has to say to us!

No comments: