Friday, May 9, 2008

Speak Lord, Your Servant Is Listening

Glad to see your back! Ok – so this is where we left off yesterday. In case you didn’t get to read II Samuel 3: 1-10 I’ve got it here for you.

The boy Samuel ministered before the Lord under Eli. In those days the word of the Lord was rare; there were not many visions. 2 On night Eli, whose eyes were becoming so weak that he could barely see, was lying down in his usual place. 3 The lamp of God had not yet gone, out and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was. 4 Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” 5 And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. 6 Again the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” 7 Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord; The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. 8 The Lord called Samuel a third time, and Samuel got p and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. 9 So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”

Did you catch how many times God called before Samuel recognized His voice?? 4 times! In verses 4, 6, 8 and then 10. Boy, if anything – you can see that our God is persistent.

Can you think of a time God was calling you and you were not really sure what was going on – but He kept at it? Over a 5 year period, God called me multiple times regarding a certain area of life. That area was SPEAKING! He was persistent for 5 years until I said God – this must really be you speaking to me. I thought that because it was something that I LOVED to do – God wouldn’t use it. It was such a strong desire in me that I thought --- this could not be God’s desire! My thinking was that God calls you to stuff you dread because He wants you to depend on Him to pull you through. It never dawned on me that God would place desires in our hearts that line up with His will and His purpose for us. (duh…. Thus the verse ….. “and He will give you the desires of your heart…. – I’m so hard headed!)

Eli was the one who realized that it was God speaking to Samuel. And, I am so thankful for the “Eli” in my life! Not only did God use His Word, but He also used another believer to encourage me and explain to me what she could see taking place in my life. She was the featured speaker at our Ladies Luncheon one October day and I was asked by the committee to be the brief testimony giver. After the luncheon, she came up to me encouraging me to pursue speaking or teaching and making jokes that I should have been the featured speaker that day!

So, when we think we hear God speaking and then circumstances of events or other people confirm what He is saying, AND what we are hearing LINES UP WITH GOD’S WORD - we need to be on the lookout for God’s direction!

But, there is something else that I don’t want us to over look today. ………..

Have you ever thought God was telling you to do something and so you step out in faith --- then think, something is not right! I’ve made a mistake!! Did I hear God correctly?

I taught a class not to long ago (created by Rick Warren) that helps Christians discern their gifts for ministry (ministry meaning God’s purpose for your life). And, one of the things stressed in this class was: Finding where you are to be used in ministry is mainly discovered by trail and error. And, I can agree with that. I did 10,000 things for my church before I realized that God wanted me to teach! That teaching lead to a speaking ministry. It was crazy! I would prayerfully consider each position and think that I was doing what was “right”. But once I got into it – honestly, I would just stink at it! I did this not only with church activities but in other areas of life as well. I knew that I enjoyed public speaking – which is most people’s nightmare! So, for that reason, I tried selling BeautiControl, Legal Services – you name it I probably tired to sell it (thinking – I can do this, I love to stand in front of people and talk!!)! But the good news is that with every prayer regarding ministry opportunities at my church OR even life situations ---- with every step that I took in what I considered being obedient to God’s call ---- it was all to bring me to this point. To finally surrender the call to serving Him in a full time Speaking Ministry.

It was so relieving to me when I finally realized that I’m not always going to get it right. God might be calling and I misunderstand or just miss hearing Him. BUT, God is persistent. Samuel missed hearing Him 3 times and on the 4th time – got it right. His purpose for me was to teach His Word. Looking back, I’m so thankful that I wandered in the wilderness! He did not give up on me.

Right now, I’m at another point in my life of questioning God’s calling in a specific area. It’s something that is so crazy – that only God could accomplish it! It’s a desire I’ve had for many years, but I’m at that same point ….. “God, is this my desire or yours!”

Are any of you right here with me? Is God stretching your faith? Let’s decide right now to …. Pray with out ceasing, to pray – not my will, but Yours be done, to say to Him – speak Lord, you servant is listening.

No comments: