Friday, January 11, 2008

Take Up Your Cross And Follow Me

Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”
Luke 9:23



I LOVE jewelry. Sorry, it’s just the truth! And, I especially love scripture jewelry and crosses. If I am outside the house – you can almost guarantee that I will be wearing it! I have a favorite bracelet that says Proverbs 3:16 “Commit they works to the Lord and thy thoughts shall be established.” And, I have at least 15 different cross necklaces. I’m hooked on the stuff! My thought process has been this – if I’m going to wear jewelry – why not put on something that represents my faith.


Well, I have been told over the years that I am naïve. And, I guess I’m ready to admit that. Here it goes! It shocks me that people who do not believe in Christ – or show any fruit from their beliefs – walk around wearing crosses just like me! WHAT???? That upsets me to no end! No, actually – that hurts me. It hurts me to think that the precious cross where my Savior died is just someone’s “cool” winter accessory!


This was actually brought to my attention in a taping I was blessed to do with Kay Arthur (YES!!!! I was in a taping! Just me and 7 other gals being taught for 2 full days by Kay, but I’ll save details for another blog). Kay was talking in one session about the changes in society. She gave an example of Brittany Spears, who was photographed wearing a bra with a long cross necklace. She continued by saying how that cross did not mean anything to Brittany – and to most in society who just make the cross a fashion statement. And then, she looked at me with my flashy rhinestone cross necklace on and she said, “But, Ginger here – I know her character. And the cross she is wearing means everything to her.”


Oh – it does! The cross means everything to me. I’ve never intended for my jewelry to be “cool” --- only to witness. However, after that taping I was actually hesitant to wear my necklaces again. I didn’t realize I was putting on the same thing as Brittany Spears in a bra! But, I’m so glad that Kay pointed out the attitude of the heart. I would never want to do anything to hurt the cause of Christ – I only want to proclaim it!


With all this cross talk – I realized yesterday how many cross decorations I have in my home. Again, I am always drawn to them because of my love for Him. My sister-in-law told me of someone she knew who had a collection of crosses and had one wall in her home just filled with them. Then, I had an idea. I have one small wall that would allow me to hang nearly all the crosses I have – all sizes, just randomly placed. AND, above all the crosses I want to paint the words – “Take up your cross daily, and follow Me”.


That’s what I’m reminded of when I have on one of my cross necklaces. That’s what I’m reminded of with each new cross decoration I purchase. I want to be surrounded by that thought. That I must deny myself, take up the cross and follow Him if I want to be a disciple of Christ.

And anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Matthew 10:38
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.”
Matthew 16:24
Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me”
Mark 8:34

And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:27


By the way --- I’ll post pics after I get my wall done!!!

2 comments:

Shonda said...

What a blessings to be taught by Kay. I'd love to glean info from those sessions. Good point she brought out. And I may use your idea in my home where I have a cross and the ten commandments. I like putting scriptures all around my home. Thanks!

Blessings in Christ--

Anonymous said...

I found this blog because I was googling "take up your cross". I am looking for a framed version of this scripture. I'd like to hang it in my living room which is decorated with all different sized crosses. (There is no new thought under heaven!) I have been to the local Christian book store and found NOTHING...I have looked in catalogs and searched the internet. I was about to give up and squeeze out some create juices (do-it-myself) when I read your blog. Did you find the scripture to place on your wall?