Monday, January 7, 2008

Praise God In All Circumstances

"Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

II Thessalonians 5:16-18


It's easy to praise God when life is good. When there are no bumps in the road. But, when you add some adversity - that is when our true character shows.


It was 2 months ago yesterday that my father in law passed away at age 68. He had been relatively healthy and became ill with a cold the end of July. He was taken to the hospital and on Aug. 6th was diagnosed with stage 4 Lymphoma. He was in and out of ICU for three months and very seriously ill.


Being a pastor for over 30 years, he was loved by many. We had a multitude of saints who were "praying continually" for our close knit family. And, we have daily felt their prayers from Aug. 6th to the present.


It has been a sad time. We miss his voice. We miss him sitting at the kitchen table around Sunday dinner. We miss his humor. We miss his Godly wisdom. And, we miss his hugs.


But, II Thessalonians tells us that it is God's will for us to be joyful, and pray continually giving thanks in all circumstances. How can that be - while hurt, pain, confusion and sadness fill our human bodies?


As I mentioned earlier, it's easy to thank God in the good times. But, when adversity strikes and we thank Him anyway - we are putting trust in His sovereignty. We are acknowledging that we know nothing and He is omniscient. We can say to the Lord of Lords - Yes, this stinks! And yes, I am VERY hurt and even angry. But, I know your Word. And, knowing His Word is how I can live out II Thessalonians.


I believe Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff comfort me."


I believe Psalm 56:22 "Cast your cares upon the Lord and he will sustain you."


I believe II Corinthians 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort."


And I believe John 14:18 "I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you."


Acknowledging God's sovereignty, through our pain, ultimately strengthens our relationship with Him. And as we turn our hurts to Him daily --- sometimes moment by moment, He lovingly begins a healing process within our heart.


I am so thankful for the legacy that my precious Father-in-law left behind. With God's leading, he built a strong and growing church filled with grace. He was know to often say, "Just pour a little grace on it." I am so thankful for the spiritual heritage he left my family. I am thankful for the way he raised my husband to be a Godly leader of our home. And, I am thankful that he was able to baptize our oldest daughter Savannah.


If you are hurting deeply today, my prayer is that you will find comfort in the scriptures above. I hope that if you don't know His Word, that your circumstances will draw you to Him in a way you have never experienced before. And then, you will be able to say ........ "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ginger...

Thank you so much for living out II Corinthians 1:3-4 in this post about your father-in-law! We really are comforted by our Father so we can comfort those around us.

Blessing,
Dori

Speaking Thru Me Ministries said...

wow - what wonderful faith and strength you display. i saw it up close and personal and i know it is real in your life!!! hwo awesome!! love you girlie!!

NYC said...

Thank you for this post. My father passed away in June 2007. Needless to say, it was very hard to praise God through that time. But through that experience I learned that I must count on God for all things, that He is worthy of praise in the good as well as in the sad and tough times.

Valarie said...

YYAAAHHOOOOO!!! So glad to see you blogging!!

What amazing faith you have sweet sister! I know your pain as I lost my dad 5 years (still can't believe it's that long) ago. God hurts right along with us and wants more than anything to be our strength! What a blessing you are!!
Love ya girl.
Val

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Hi, Ginger!
What a great devotion! I am so glad to have you here in "blog world."

Blessings,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

the verse you quote should be noted as I Thessalonians 5:16-18