Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Trip To Mexico (AKA Woe, the plans of man!)

I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.
Acts 20:24

I am back from my trip and boy, do I have a story to tell!!!! It goes like this ……. Actually, it ends like this …… when our boat was docked in Mobile, Alabama it was supposedly to be quarantined for 4 days before the Center for Disease Control will allow anyone else to board!! So says CNN News!!!!!

OK, now I’ll back up. I had a fabulous long bus ride. I had a wonderful full day at sea. I took my Bible and all kinds of ministry stuff planning on having an awesome time with God and getting MUCH accomplished.

Well, we dock at Cozumel. My Mom and grandmother along with 40 or so other ladies go on a Site Seeing and Shopping Excursion. Our first stop is across the island in a small village setting where I find a really cool cross ring (we’ve already established my cross thing in another post!). Next, we go to the Beach for about 15 minutes for pictures. For some reason, our next stop is at a Tequila Factory --- why a group of Baptist Women are taken to a Tequila Factory I’m not sure – but it was pretty funny!!!! (this is where you laugh at my Baptist joke) Anyway, I’m starting to not feel well, so I sit and pass on the tour. We get back on the bus to head into downtown Cozumel to do some serious shopping. I’ve been in Mexico about 2 hours by this time – and my time has come to a halt!!! I get off the bus, run to the bathroom and I am oh – so-sick! So sick, that my grandmother hails a cab and we are rushing back to the boat. From there – I continue to be, you guessed it! Oh-so-sick! Oh-so-sick, that my nearly 80 year old grandmother is pushing me in a wheelchair to the ship’s Infirmary!!! Something is seriously wrong with that picture. Evidently, I am oh-so-sick along with hundreds of other people on the ship!!!!! Thus, the boat being inspected by the CDC! And, my trip officially ended riding in a cab only after spending two hours in Mexico. Gang, I was down for the count and I’m doing well to remember getting off the boat :)

I did not get to buy my kids any “real” Mexican gifts. I only got 1 “real” Mexican gift for myself!! I did not have any “lofty” quiet times on the ship’s deck looking out to the sea. I did not do any ministry planning stuff. All I did was be oh-so-sick and sleep.

So, I’m sharing with you what I’ve learned from this unique experience. Life is not about ME! How shocking!! I went on this trip thinking, I deserve a break. This trip is long overdue – I owe it to myself. I’ve got to get my ministry stuff organized. I’m going to accomplish this & that and Me, Myself and I are going to have a blast because it’s about time I did something for – you guessed it, ME! AND – my very supportive husband was never thrilled with this cruise idea. I’m often able to get away for time with Beth Moore, Priscilla and Kay (not personally – but in conference form!) and occasionally for scrapbook weekends. It’s not like I NEVER get away, but he was more hesitant about this trip. He has a huge project due every Feb. and Jan. is the worst possible time for me to leave him to juggle three kids and this other massive undertaking! And honestly, I never gave him a choice so he never said “No.” I just determined from day one that I was going because this trip was well deserved. Well, God put my plans to a halt didn’t He?! Is it possible that I should have listened to my husband (doesn’t God’s word say something about respecting him ---- you would think sometimes I’d never read that part!!)?

Paul said, “I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace.” Paul was not living to please himself or to get his needs fulfilled. He didn’t desire to get away from it all to hear from God on a cruise to Mexico!! From the point of his conversion on the road to Damascus, he had one burning passion: to live for the glory and the pleasure of God. All that mattered to him was knowing Christ and making Him known to others.

In all honesty, I’ve been more worried about getting a suntan in Mexico and coming back with some grand concept that God revealed to me while standing on the seashore or while sitting in the rays of His glorious creation. I was planning on Him revealing something dramatic and profound with me, so that I could tell (blog) it upon my return. Again, in honesty – making me appear to be greater than I am!

“Oh Lord, how I want to live these words by Paul. Forgive me for my selfishness. I don’t want to live to please myself or even those around me --- only You. God, trips are great – but it’s my attitude that needed the adjustment. Thank you for my husband and his wisdom. Father help me to not think I “always know best”. He is amazing and did such a fabulous job with the kids while I was away. Lord, I truly desire to finish the race and complete the task that You’ve given me. I thank you for my calling in ministry – I understand however that my plans mean nothing. You are in complete control. And plans are good – they are not bad things. But, when I focus on my plans and not the plans You have for me – that’s where the problem comes. Help me to live for You today. Amen”

2 comments:

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

Well....that stinks. I hate that you were so sick...but, the good thing is you really took something from it all! But still, it stinks that you were sick!! =)

Valarie said...

Oh girl, His ways are NOT our ways!! I'm so sorry that you were so sick but I'm so grateful that you were able to learn even from that!!
Love ya and I'm prayin' girl!
Val