Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Oppressed, The Orphan and The Widow

"He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing."
Deuteronomy 10:18

When I was only 14 years old I went on a Mission Trip to New Orleans, LA. That one trip forever changed my life. I worked in a project area with kids who were afraid to go home. They talked freely about the gun fire and various family members who had been killed. During that week I met a 12 year old who was pregnant and I also held a "crack baby" in my arms. This baby was nearly 2 years old, but was still very much like an infant. I made two special friends, Jamal who was about 3 and then Devon who was 8. I have some great pictures of that trip. And still have some of the letters that Devon wrote to me after leaving. On our last day - so many of the kids we met were begging us to take them home. When I say begging - I'm talking about crying, screaming at the top of their lungs holding on to your leg kind of begging. Some of the kids kept trying to get on our bus and hide down in the seats or in the luggage area under the bus. I cried from New Orleans, LA all the way home to Cleveland, TN. To this day, I still tear up thinking about all I experienced.

After that experience, I've taken many mission trips and continued working with kids in project areas up until I was pregnant with my first child. My heart has always been tender to children, especially those who are born in poverty areas and without much hope. Believe me - Russ does not want me to take any more Mission Trips for fear of us needing to purchase a second mini-van to hold all the kids I would likely bring home!!

During the last few years, I have been connected with many people who have adopted. Their stories vary, but almost always come back to these statements: 1) We are all orphans, by His grace, Christ adopted us into His family. I felt His calling to extend that grace by adopting a child. 2) Christ says that we are to defend and feed the fatherless - He has called my family to live that out.

My heart is breaking today for two special friends. Both have other children, but were feeling called to adopt. Near the ending point - both adoptions have fallen through. One from Russia. The other twins from Liberia. You can read about Lori's story regarding her twins at her blog http://lorienewmanblog.typepad.com/perfumedpresent/.

I can not image the devastation. Just recently, I've wanted to work with Compassion International and "adopt a child" where you pay X amount a month to help feed them and get them items they need. It was so hard to look at all those children and pick one. But one stood out above all others. As I continued to pray - I went back a few days later excited to her adopt her. Her picture was gone. Had someone else adopted her? Had something terrible happened to her??? I couldn't believe it! That was my child --- who in the world took her and what happened??? As I've continued to review the sight - I'm again, overwhelmed by the great need of these children, but "my child" is not standing out this time. And every time I look, I say a prayer for little Doreen from Uganda and continue to sort over which child to pick now. But with so many children - does one really matter? Do you think that "one" matters to Christ? Yes, "one" does matter. And, I can't wait to help make a difference in the life of just "one".

I can no way compare my situation with what has happened to these other families. But in Lorie's story - she mentions how she truly felt God leading her to these twins. It was no mistake. So why did the adoption not work out? Little details like that will not be answered on this earth. All Lorie knows now is that she will forever be praying for two little twins in Liberia and she will continue the search for the child God wants to bring to their home.

We are not all called to literally adopt children into our families, just as we are not all called to have widow/widower move into our homes (like a parent or in law). But, as a Christian we are to do our part. I'm amazed at how many references in scripture talk about how "we" are to take care of the orphan and the widow. Ps. 10:14, Ps. 68:5, Ps. 146:9, Is. 1:17, Jer. 22:3 -- just as some examples.

My father in law passed away last November. Every time we got out to eat with my mother in law, my husband pays for her meal. It's not a huge thing, but it's one way that my family can "care for the widow".

So what are you doing about the scripture listed above to be a "defender"? Have you asked God what should be your role in caring for the oppressed, the orphan and the widow? If you ask - I have no doubts that he will tell you. Then, let me know. I can't wait to hear from you!

No comments: