Monday, April 28, 2008

No kidding - this is a true story!

"In all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us."
Romans 8:37

This past Wed. I spoke to an AWESOME M.O.P.S group (Mother's of Preschoolers). And, I used one of my favorite messages. The bottom line of the message is - We need to spend time alone with God daily. It was easy to direct that to group of preschool moms because out of all the people on the planet they are the ones least likely to EVER be alone. I mean come on, they even have little people follow them into the bathroom!! Talking about no privacy! Thus, the calling of a mom with young kids:)

I also talked about BUSYNESS, feeling pressure to be Super Mom and told them this personal story about how having to much on your plate can really catch up with you!!

I have two girls, my 2nd grade daughter, Savannah who attends Madison Creek and a 6 year old daughter, Cassidy who was in a pre-K class at Gene Brown Elementary.

So two girls, two separate schools, but in the same county. And – every year the schools have a county wide drug free week called Red Ribbon Week. And during the course of this week the kids get to wear something different and fun each day (like silly unmatched socks, sunglasses and so on.).


So – I receive my two notes from each school explaining the week’s dress code. Some days the girls dress the same and some days are different. You guys know where this is headed I’m sure!
Ok – it had been an unusual week and I had been doing a pretty good balancing act until Thursday. That’s when Cassidy (my younger daughter) and then my baby boy came down with a stomach bug at the same time!! I’m rushing around on Thursday knowing that it’s going to be a long night. I’m getting as much prepared for Friday as I can. And, I look at the paper telling me what Savannah is to wear on Friday and it’s called “Wacky Tacky Day”. Which means, you are to purposefully not match any of your clothes. The crazier and more mismatched the better.

Well, I yell upstairs to Savannah so she can help me by finding her own clothes -- and she has a blast in her closet finding the coolest mismatched outfit she can find for the next day. Stuff like that is really up her ally. She has a red sock, a blue sock, a green paisley skirt, an orange shirt and has laid out some eccentric hair accessories.


I was right. Thursday night was horrible. I’ve had 0 sleep and I’m driving Savannah to school in a daze and as she gets out of the car --- I think, “Uuh – That’s strange. Not many people dressed up today.” and I’m off!

And it was not until oh – 15 min. before Savannah was to get off the bus that afternoon, while I was disinfecting our kitchen – I really stopped and looked at the Red Ribbon Week schedule posted on my fridge and I could have died!! You guessed it. It was not “Wacky Tacky Day” at Savannah’s school. It was sports apparel day. “Wacky Tacky Day” was at Cassidy’s school, but she was sick so didn’t go to school that day. And, to make things worse for Savannah --- they had an assembly in the gym for the entire school K-5th grade. And she was the line leader for her grade and had to walk in front of everyone around their gymnasium.

It was an honest mistake, but one that was made because I was overwhelmed, rushed, frustrated and didn’t even slow down enough to read the correct sheet of paper posted right on my refrigerator.


Now, I could maybe get away with saying I had sick babies and that could happen to anyone (trying to make myself feel better). But, the truth of the matter is my calendar of craziness the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday before my babies were sick on Thursday was the root of the problem. Because I had so many things crammed in to my schedule for the entire week – when the unexpected happened – the bottom fell out!

AND after this weeks talk and this fabulous reminder ---- I DID IT AGAIN!!!! This morning, Savannah is all dressed up this time. She's in gold dress shoes, a skirt and blouse matching accessories and as we pull in the parking lot she says - "Mom, I'm supposed to have on my class T-shirt and tennis shoes! We are running a marathon today!!!"

God keeps me around for entertainment I'm sure of it!!! How is it that one person can be so scattered yet try so hard to not be!!

Once again, I realize my need not just for HIM daily, but moment by moment!! "God, through you - who loves me so much - that is the only way I will ever the able to conquer my daily schedule! I'm so thankful that You have not given up on me yet!!! Amen!"

1 comment:

Leah Adams said...

Ginger,

Sounds like we ALL have too much on our plates AND it is not God's fault!! I'm trying to downsize my plate and curb my activities. The Lord has made a way for me to do that with my activities and at the same time make room for more ministry work. He is so good.

Leah