Thursday, January 17, 2008

Not one of "those" phone calls!!

“For this reason, since they day we hard about you, we have not stopped praying for you, and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.”
Colossians 1:9-12

Well – it’s honesty time. I received last night one of “those” phone calls from another parent. One of those calls saying, “Your child hit my child and is mistreating my child” kind of phone calls. YIKES!

I could tell that she was as nervous calling as I was listening!! However, I really am thankful that she was bold enough to call me. That is a hard thing to do. It’s easy to sit around and stew about things than to just face them head on. I had been thinking earlier in the day – I wonder if I should call so & so’s Mom. I didn’t know what to say or how to say it! God knew I would completely butcher this situation – so He just had her call me!!! She talked and I listened.

Afterwards, I was so upset -- more at feeling failure as a parent than any of the particulars discussed by phone. Part of my child’s problem is what I like to call a “tone” issue. Her voice can sound very disrespectful. Of course I immediately start thinking, “Oh no – she’s learned that from me!!” I have to be so careful how I speak to others (especially when I’m tired!). Also, she has accepted Christ and I already see signs of her having the gift of prophecy. Things are black and white – so if she “perceives” something as wrong, she is going to let you know about it!!! This leads to a lot of negative things being said to and about others. Oh goodness – how can some of our greatest attributes be our biggest downfalls?? Out of all the Spiritual Gifts – prophecy definitely gets the most flack! She has so much God given potential to do something amazing for His kingdom, but she really needs some sharpening! This gift will serve her well at age 28, but at age 8 --- we’ve got some work to do!!!

After taking a “chill pill” – ha, God brought to my attention a verse that I pray for my children all the time. It’s the very long one at the top of the page.

“God, I thank you right now for the mother who called me. I pray for her relationship with you. Lord, I don’t know her spiritual walk – but you do. I ask that you show yourself to her in away that would be undeniable. I pray for her daughter. I pray that she might come to know you --- and how awesome would it be if this all works out and Savannah one day leads her. And God, I pray for their mother-daughter relationship, may it be a strong one that brings glory to you. I ask that if there is any wrong on their end that they would be accepting of that. Please help all of our relationships to not be awkward from this point forward. Give Savannah wisdom, even at her young age, to know when to use her gift of prophecy! I pray that she lives a life worthy of you and pleases you in every way. Show me where she is imitating me in negative ways and change me! Father, I pray that she will bear fruit, and grow in knowledge of you. God, thank you for opening my eyes. This morning I feel like there is so much that I should have said over the phone. BUT, I see that all of it would have been building Savannah up, while only bringing down this other child. (didn't you just have me blog about that very thing last week???) Thank you for your grace last night to help me keep my mouth closed and just take it all in. You know that is not like me – it must have been You. God, I pray for the teachers who may get involved. Give them discernment and help them to mold each girl’s character for the better. Be with Savannah today. You know how nervous she is about going to school. Give her courage to do what is right and the grace to do it. Thank you for your Word and your awesome wisdom from Colossians!”

1 comment:

shattuck7 said...

Ginger, the thing that stands out to me so clearly from your blog is God's work to instill in you a tender and teachable spirit. Often times when I am being corrected or a problem is surfacing I am learning the blessings that come from simply asking God to give me a teachable spirit. It requires closing my mouth (as you did) and opening my ears (as you did) and receiving truth from Him (as you did). I applaud the work God is doing in your life and cheer you on as you seek to flesh out Scripture.